After a series of "capital A" Annoyances, we are officially in our new home.
1) The movers didn't estimate correctly so they left all our couches and many tables behind (They thought we could share the leftover space of another Texas bound move.)
2) The transmission on our car went kaput as we travelled...we took an emergency stop in Baton Rouge.
3) Our neighbor called us while we stopped in a dirty motel somewhere...their cat had disappeared. They thought perhaps it had climbed aboard our moving truck. Little did they know, there were 2 moving trucks heading in opposite directions. The 2nd truck went to Grand Rapids to store our extra things till another truck heading to Texas could bring them down here.
4) Our house is wired weirdly. We couldn't make long distance phone calls to tell people we had finally arrived. After hours on the phone and 2 servicemen scratching their heads, they found a single jack in a cabinet on which we could call long distance.
5)The gas man discovered a leak on our line. Also one of the hot water heaters doesn't stay lit.
6) When you run the water from the faucet it smells like rotten eggs. Gag!
7) We protested our property taxes. A cheer for a little tax relief.
8) The plumbers came... now we can take a hot shower in our wing of the house.
9) The telephone guy came back and rewired our jacks.
10) Our pool service guy said our pool has always been a problem child.
11) The car mechanic said the axle is stuck in the transmission and it may break the case when he pulls it out...more money.
12) There are giant cockroaches here. And the mosquitoes have feasted on our flesh.
13) Yesterday I was told, "You can only eat an elephant one bite at a time." A huge transition and unending tasks can be totally overwhelming, I loved this sage advice.
In all things give thanks! And remember to chew that elephant with your mouth shut.
18 hours ago