Sunday, April 08, 2007

The time and place


This Easter Sunday our pastor's wife was involved in a terrible car wreck, her car went down a ravine and flipped upside down. She suffered broken bones, but blessedly survived. For those in warmer climates it might be hard to imagine snow on the ground for the last four or five days. Therefore, I'm sure the roads were slick this morning. The assistant pastor preached because of the senior pastor went to the hospital with his wife. He shared from Acts chapter 17. How short my memory, but I love verse 26.

"From one man he made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he determined the times set for them and the exact places where they should live."

In my last post I said, "I don't know where we'll be in 2 1/2 years", (aah) but God does. He orchestrated that we would be here. Wow. That means I can rest assured that he carefully and lovingly chose this residency program too. So when Ben will be working Q2 for the next two weeks. As believers we can claim the OT promise in Jeremiah 29:11, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
When circumstances seem pretty dismal, God is always working. When the hours Ben keeps seem so destructive, God is actively sheltering his child in the palm of his hand. What love he has for us.

As for daydreams about the future, I want to make sure I am not like the rich fool in Luke 12. Culture tells us that hard work entitles us to reward. We scrimp and save, we can buy the American dream. But my treasure ought to be in heaven. There is such a fine line between bettering one's circumstances and greed. Therefore, I leave none in doubt that if my heart is running after the things of this world, I am living futilely. What treasures I have in my children and husband. How life is but a vapor, and anytime I might be called to stand before my maker. May his words to me not be, "You fool!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh Anna, you are so wise. I have no doubt that you will hear "Well Done." As for mansions...nice stuff is just that. Nice stuff. You are right to put your treasure where it belongs. What blessings we are given in this life are intended to be used for much more than our own pleasure.