10 hours ago
Thursday, May 06, 2010
So this is it...unpainted. I used a 1/2 inch plywood for the base, framed it's underside in 2x4s and finished it's exterior with 1x8s. I used 5 inch industrial casters. After some dawdling I started the bed at around 8:30 pm and finished it about midnight. I'm embarassed to say that it took much longer than it should have. A few of my 2x4s were 1/8 off which is a whole lot in carpentry. Lesson learned: Don't precut wood. Cut it as you go instead to account for warps and imperfections. Because I hate doing shoddy work I found this quite frustrating. I used paint sticks as shims. Fortunately I was already planning on painting the bed when I was finished. Therefore, out came my favorite can. Water putty saved the day.